ANST is an application that will help SAP customers to find SAP Notes in order to solve a specific issue and works based on the issue replication at the customer system. When an issue is reproduced on the customer’s system, the list of application components that are involved are displayed and a note search is performed on the application component where the problem exists. A list of correction notes that could solve the issue are displayed.
- This new tool is very helpful to identify if any SAP note is available for the issue encountered. Otherwise in general, we have to raise an OSS message with SAP AGS or perform a manual search on Service Market Place to check if any relevant SAP notes are available
- It is integrated with SNOTE, once the SAP Note is identified it can be implemented from ANST T-code itself
- Identifies the errors in Custom Code – an error in customer code due to badi implementation, user exits, field exits or repaired standard code
- Identifies the errors in customization – The ANST allows you to view the list of customizing tables grouped by application component that are involved in the process
If you wonder if this is a third party tool – You are Wrong. This is just another SAP transaction – YES IT IS THAT SIMPLE to Implement.
This tool is available in the following support packages:
· SAP_BASIS 700 SAPKB70028 – released
· SAP_BASIS 701 SAPKB70113 – released
· SAP_BASIS 702 SAPKB70213 – released
· SAP_BASIS 731 SAPKB73106 – released
Let us give a try how this works. To make it simple I will take three cases where ANST will be helpful.
CASE 1 – SAP Standard Program Error
CASE 2 – Custom Code Error
3.1 CASE 1 – SAP Standard Program Error
Referring to a standard transaction “/SDF/CD_CCA” (Custom Code Analysis)
While executing the function “Similarity/Modification of the top 20 reports/transactions” It results in run time error. See below screenshot.
The above message illustrates the error is a result of a bug in the standard SAP Programme. Now let us see how ANST is used to resolve this error.
Execute the t-code ANST_SEARCH_TOOL
- Select screen values and Execute
Option “Similarity/Modification of the top 20 reports/transactions” is selected from the above. As a result system proposes list of relevant notes component wise
Upon on analysis, it is identified that Note 1803932 is relevant and implementation of this will resolve the error. As detailed above ANST is integrated with SNOTE. So we can directly download and implement the note from above screen itself.
After implementing the note, Run time error in the T-code /SDF/CD_CCA has been resolved. And the transaction is successfully Executed
3.2 CASE 2 – Customer Code Error
Now let us see how ANST help to identify error in Custom Code. We are taking an example of a BADI implemented for T-code ME22N Change of plant details in Purchase order is resulting in error. So execution of T-code ANST_SEARCH_TOOL should highlight this custom code (BADI Implementation).
- Execute T-code “ME22N” and try to change the PO details and save it.
The Plant value mentioned in this PO is “1500” which results in error message – refer to above screen shot. Error Message “ Only plant 1000 is allowed “.
If we select the option “Custom Code” in the above screen. It will list all the custom enhancements implemented for the t-code “ME22N”. Refer below screenshot
Above it is evident that plant validation is done in the above mentioned BADI.
4. ADDITIONAL FEATURES
4.1 Integration with the ‘Note Assistant’ (SNOTE)
Once the trace has been created and the lists of relevant notes that are likely to solve the problem are displayed, you can implement any of these notes on your system by just ‘double clicking’ on it in the ‘Download note’ column.
4.2 Customer code identification
It is not always necessary that the problem is in the standard code. The error could also possibly exist in the customer code due to BADI implementation, user exits, field exits or repaired standard code.
You can use ANST tool to identify errors in the customer code. To do so,
– Click on the button:
– A list of objects from the customer code is displayed. Now, double click on the row corresponding to the object to display / edit.
4.3 Open trace
Once an issue is reproduced in the ANST, the trace of the process is created. This trace can be reused, at any point of time, to search correction notes.
For example, the application user can reproduce the issue on ANST and an expert technical consultant can use the trace to search notes at later point of time.
To do so, click the Open trace button. A list of traces that created and their description are displayed.
4.4 Customizing tables
If no correction notes are available for a specific problem, the issue could have possibly been due to customization. ANST allows you to view the list of customizing tables. To do so, click on the button
Now, the customizing tables grouped by application component that are involved in the process are displayed in a tree list.
4.5 Object customizing
You can select the objects to be considered in the search results. To do so,
– Click the Object Customizing button.
– Lists of dictionary objects are displayed. Now, choose the objects that need to be considered and click on (Save) button.